Monday, June 26, 2017

Rev. Jacob Martin - Circuit Rider

Print Email

Rev. Moses W. Trader may have been our first Circuit Rider, but many followed. We recently spoke with Jim Martin about his GreatGrandfather, Jacob Martin, who served London in 1836. Jim has generously loaned us his great grandfather’s bible, which he carried with him. You can view it in the display case in the Rudorah Parlor/Welcome Center for a time.

The Pastor who built our church, Rev. Slutz, conducted the funeral service for Rev. Martin.

Rev. Jacob Martin was born near Marietta, Washington Co., Ohio, April 3, 1806, and died in London, Ohio, March 12, 1892, at the advanced age of 85 years, 11 months, and 9 days. His father, Charles H. Martin, came from England previous to the War of the Revolution and served in the Colonial army. In 1789 he came to Marietta, and in 1797 was married to Miss Mary M. Gaylor of Pennsylvania. In early life he had been connected with the Seceder Church, but later in life was received by his son Jacob into the Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother was for several years a member of the Baptist Church, but, with her husband, joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which they lived consistent members until death.

The family removed to Licking County, Ohio, when Jacob was ten years old. Here the children shared such educational advantages as were afforded the families of the early pioneers.

Under the faithful ministry of Rev. Curtis Goddard, November, 1826, Jacob was converted to God, and the following April united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, remaining in the fellowship of the church of his choice sixty-five years. March 10, 1829, he was licensed to exhort by the Rev. A. Goff. July 31, 1830 he was licensed to preach by Rev. David Young. In 1831 he was received into the Ohio Conference, in which he served the following charges with great acceptability: 1831, Wilmington Circuit; 1832, Tiffin Circuit; August 25, 1833, he was ordained deacon at Cincinnati by Bishop Robert R. Roberts; 1833, Fort Defiance; 1834 Logan County, W. Va.; August 23, 1835, he was ordained elder by Bishop James O. Andrew, at Springfield, Ohio; 1835, Gallipolis; 1836, London Circuit; 1837, Franklinton Circuit; 1838, Granville Circuit; 1839, on account of poor health he accepted a superannuated relation which was continued fourteen years, during which period he resided on a farm in Range Township, Madison County, Ohio. With improved health he accepted an effective relation in 1853, and was appointed to Dublin Circuit; 1854-55, Groveport; 1856-57, Worthington; 1858, Darbyville Circuit; 1859, Mt. Sterling; 1860-61, Johnstown; 1862, Baltimore; 1863, Mt. Sterling; 1864, Bloomingburg; 1865-66, Frankfort; 1867, on account of feeble health, he superannuated, which relation he sustained until death.

He was an effective itinerant minister about twenty-two years, during which he experienced the privations of the early pioneer. His was a ministry during the seed-time in frontier life. He shared the joys of leading many into the Living Way, who live to honor his memory. During the period of his superannuation he labored when able to do so with much acceptability. Eternity alone will reveal the harvest of his faithful sowing.

 

William L. Slutz